Instant Pot Black Beans with Smoked Turkey Sausage
Combine the following ingredients in your 6 quart Instant Pot Ultra:
1 pound dried Black Beans
2 cans 14.5 oz Chicken Broth
2 yellow onions coarsely chopped
3 celery ribs chopped on the bias
2.5 teaspoons of minced garlic
2 tablespoons canola or olive oil1 large red bell pepper Julienne and cut in 3rds
1 hand full of mini peeled carrots
1 generous teaspoon garlic salt
6 turns of a pepper grinder
2 bay leaves
- Add ingredients in this order: Broth, Oil, Garlic Salt, Bay Leaves, Beans (no pre-soak required). Then stir everything up.
- Select the Bean/Chili program. Pressure = High. Time = 30 mins. Keep Warn = ON
- Put the lid on and lock in place , if your Instant Pot does not have automatic sealing, seal the vent. Press Start.
While the beans are cooking prepare the following:
- 1 pound Smoked Turkey Sausage pre cooked sliced 1/2 inch on the bias
- Juice of one lemon
- Prepare the Onions, Celery and Red Bell Pepper.
- Two medium tomatoes diced – place in small serving bowl (for a garnish/topping)
- 6 scallions sliced – place in small serving bowl (for a garnish/topping)
- Ranch Dressing or sour cream (for a garnish/topping)
When the cooking cycle is over Quick Release (QR) immediately, add the Turkey Sausage, lemon juice, red bell pepper, carrots, onion, minced garlic and celery and cook on the Bean/Chili program for 1 minute, Keep Warm = On. This recipe requires 20 mins Natural Pressure Release (NPR). After 20 mins of Natural Pressure Release (NPR) release the remaining pressure with Quick Release, open the lid
and stir the contents. Use a slotted serving spoon and serve in bowls or bistro bowls and garnish with tomato, scallions and ranch dressing
Feeds 4-5 people. Approximate cost $12.00. If you want softer beans, then extend the 30 min cook time as desired. The vegetables that are cooked under pressure with the beans should be chopped in larger pieces. 30 mins under pressure will most likely liquify the vegetables, the same will happen with the garlic cloves, this is why it is better to add the vegetables at the end. Don’t worry, your pot will come up to pressure again very quickly. Using Chicken broth adds needed flavor to the beans, you may need to add more garlic salt depending on your taste, however between the chicken broth and the garlic salt added, it should be fine.
Leave a Reply